/posts/post12-rear-axle-installed.html
To bookmark this post, first click here to set the URL.
Post 12
April 2015

Rear Axle Installed

Road Test

Big improvement in ride quality. Will be awesome when the front is done.

It’s great that I no longer have to put cardboard down under one half of the car. I reckon there were six points on the rear axle that were leaking, hopefully no longer.

Land Rover Series 3 Rear Axle

Land Rover Series 3 Rear Axle

Before (especially for Paul)

Land Rover Series 3 Rear Axle

After (especially for Paul)

Brake Problem

I encountered a problem with one of the drake drums binding. When I installed the drum on the right hand side, I noticed that the drum was catching at one point in its revolution. I could still turn it through the hard spot by hand, so I figured the the shoes or drum may just need to settle, and driving the vehicle was the best remedy.

After about a 30km test drive, the wheel and drum were hot, I could still touch it, but only just. Hot enough that I was going to have to sort it out anyway.

So I pulled the problem drum off and swapped it to the other side, just to test if the drum was out of round. No problem. I could see where the brakes had been touching one point on the inside of drum, so something must have been out.

I reinstalled both drums making sure that they were very well seated, by tapping them into place with a hammer through a block of wood, and tightening the retaining screws as I tapped. Obviously the drum on one side hadn’t seated against the hub properly, because now the problem is completely solved.