/posts/post13-update.html
To bookmark this post, first click here to set the URL.
Post 13
May 2015

Update

Not much has happened to LR over the last couple of weeks. Progress is temporarily halted due to us moving to a different town. Because the LR is in a usable state, it's a good time to pause. It will be earning its keep over the next few weeks, being our only vehicle with a tow ball.

WOF

The Warrant of Fitness was due, so I figured id take LR along and see what needs doing. Not too bad.

The front brakes had to be sorted as they were out of balance. I suspect one of the drums hadn’t seated properly as per the issue I had with the rear. I fixed the problem without doing anything except removing the two front drums and making sure they were well tapped back into place.

The front shock absorber bushes were stuffed. I did purchase new rubber bushes locally, but they were too small. The bushes I purchased are a common size, and obviously someone else had purchased the same slightly too small bushes in the past, and used them anyway, along with a bunch of windscreen sealant! Luckily I kept the old land rover sized poly bushes from the rear. They were a bit perished, but good enough to reuse temporarily. When I get to pulling the front axle out, the shocks and bushes will be renewed anyway.

I really wanted to get through this WOF without having to touch the bulkhead. No luck. I had to repair one small rusty patch. I just welded a plate over top, which is good enough to pass inspection, but I’ll grind it off and repair the area properly when the bulkhead is more accessible.

New Grille

Oh, and I brought a second hand 2a metal grille, which will replace my faded plastic grille when I get round to fixing it on.