To bookmark this post, first click here to set the URL.
Still waiting on a few parts to arrive before I can reassemble the rear axle and get it all back in the car. Hopefully I’ll be using the Land Rover by next weekend. So today, not wanting to start anything else major, I’ve messed about plating and painting a couple of inconsequential bits.
Land Rover Badge
First up, the Land Rover Badge. A quick spray with semi gloss rustoleum, wait over night, and sand off the high spots. This is not the method I would recommend. Next time, instead of painting and sanding, I’d flood the low area with thinned down black paint, leaving the high spots unpainted.
Next up the GB AA badge. This should be (and was) white with black letters. But I prefer silver on black, and actually I wanted to use this badge as a test case for my number plates. Anyway, my redneck setup didn’t work. The resulting finish effect was perfect, but it was impossible to consistently hold the badge without a proper sliding vice. The result was some gouging, but the badge is salvagable. I have a friend who could do this in a couple of minutes on a mill, but I’ve got a second redneck tactic to try out first.
Fail!. Wobbly old drill press + router bit + plywood slide mechanism + double sided trim tape + clamps = exciting next few seconds. I still have fingers.
Diff Filler Plug Electroplated
I did this mainly out of boredom. A new plug probably only costs a couple of $. Also, I thought it would be a good example of the process I use for electroplating stuff.
1. The old plug cleaned up as well as I can be bothered. If the part was visible and a good finish was required, it would have to be cleaned up a lot better than this.
2. A short bath in diluted hydrocloric acid. Just a couple of minutes in this case. Beyond a certain point the acid will have a visible effect on the base steel. (I’ve soaked badly rusted parts for over an hour, and they come out as clean steel, but significantly etched, almost like a sand blasted finish).